Thursday, February 4, 2021

Week 2 Reading Overview



 I think I'm going to read the Narayan version of the Ramayana beginning next week. My one of my main factors here is the ease of having one book on my kindle app. Yes I did have to buy it, but I also bought Laura's tiny tales books in case I change my mind and read those! Reading on my kindle/kindle app is great - it's portable and there are no links to keep track of or page numbers or places to keep. 

One of the videos that caught my eye was Enemy of the Reich: The Noor Inayat Khan Story.

At that point I went down a YouTube rabbit hole and found several more videos Noor Inayat Khan including Noor Inayat Khan: Britain's first Muslim female agent and Noor Inayat Khan -- A Life of Bravery. 

 Some photos I found that I enjoyed are here!
 

Image source: Lakshmi

I selected this first image because it feels pretty serene and I like the elephants. As you can see below, my second image is very, very similar - there is a theme here!



Image source: Gajalakshmi
 

This image specifically states that Laskhmi flanked by two elephants is known as Gajalakshmi. And in this photo she is pictured with Sarasvati and her peacock. I am apparently really liking somewhat serene or peaceful images of goddesses hanging out with their animal companions. 


The comic books are a little harder for me to pick since they are not digitized. I may see if some are available for digital purchase somewhere but I am never in Norman anymore to read what Bizzell has! So I'm picking somewhat on topic but I have to say the artwork for this first one, Ganga: The Divine Beauty, amused me to no end. One of the faces looks like "Folks. Really? Again??" Just slightly perturbed, I love it. I do love this concept of drinking the sea though, what a thought. 

My second comic choice was Sukanya. The whole idea of picking the correct choice from multiple identical choices is a theme that shows up in stories all over the place and I love when you get to read some of the older/source type myths that spawned a thousand other tales!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading Notes: Dharma Mahabarata (Part E) - Extra credit reading

Mahabharata: The Greatest Spiritual Epic of All Time. b y Krishna Dharma, 2008 ( source ) Arjuna is headed to heaven! But he's just v...